You’ve got the rest of your life to do normal.
The diversity of what we’re planning at Hull 2017 means there are hundreds of opportunities for volunteers to get involved in an exciting range of events and activities city-wide.
People just like you are already volunteering for Hull 2017. Now’s the time for you to come and play your part in something very special!
There are 28 different volunteer roles and you can express an interest in as many as you would like. The roles range from practical event support to visitor welcome, and even volunteer casts for our major outdoor spectacles. Above all else, volunteering with Hull 2017 is a unique opportunity to get a front row seat – play your part in the next major national event and get the chance to say ‘I was there!’.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Have a positive attitude
- Have an ability to work well in a team environment and ‘go the extra mile’
- Are approachable and friendly
- Will be an outstanding ambassador for Hull 2017
There are a number of steps in the volunteer journey, which begins with online application.
The volunteer programme has been divided into four waves so that the volunteer recruitment and deployment process can be replicated multiple times throughout the City of Culture year. You can apply up to 30 April 2017.
What is a wave?
A wave is a time frame roughly four months long in which volunteers will be recruited, trained and deployed. Different people will be at different stages of this process in each wave.
Each wave will include:
- Application submission.
- Selection at community-based recruitment events where every applicant will get the chance to bring their application to life in a face-to-face conversation with the Volunteer Programme Team.
- Training for successful applicants – you will be taken through the necessary skill-enhancing workshops and support in readiness to volunteer.
- Uniform collection.
- Volunteering at events and projects that match to your availability, skills, experience and enthusiasm.
- Successful applicants are invited to apply for their preferred wave in the first instance. Opportunities across more waves may be subsequently available. (Applications for Waves 1 and 2 are now closed but you can apply now for exciting opportunities in Waves 3 and 4 and a once in a lifetime experience!)
Handy downloadable guides with more information about becoming a Hull 2017 Volunteer include:
|What is a Wave?
|Frequently Asked Questions
Submitting Your Application
- You must be 16 years or older on 31 August prior to volunteering.
- You must be willing to attend a face to face interview.
- You need to consent to and successfully undertake UK Police Vetting.
- Agree to the Hull 2017 Volunteer Charter
- Please make sure you have enough time to complete the application in one sitting. It will take approximately 25 mins.
- Within the body of the application form, the symbol provides background information to particular sections.
We look forward to receiving your application form to become a Hull 2017 Volunteer.